- Diablo 3 Community Site – This is the official website for the game. Specifically, the Game Guide section has a bunch of information about the game mechanics.
- Patch History – It’s sometimes nice to refresh your memory on what changes each patch brought, especially helpful in forum arguments.
- These next two are really up to your preferences. They both provide really good coverage of Diablo 3, and they also both have comprehensive Diablo wikis.
- DiabloFans (Wiki) – This is Curse Network’s fansite for Diablo. It is generally my preference just because it seems to load faster for me, but I think IncGamers has a more complete Wiki.
- Diablo IncGamers (Wiki) – I think it is hosted in Europe, so it is slow to load for me in the U.S. Other than that, it is just as good or better than DiabloFans.
- Click to Loot’s Combat Mechanics Guide – This is an excellent resource for how all the mechanics work in Diablo 3. Most of the information I already found on my own, but it’s nice to have it all in one place.
- D3Inferno – This is an awesome site with information on all the affixes that can appear on Magic and Rare items. It is also good to see what the max stats possible are on items. My only worry is that the loses interest in Diablo 3 and stops updating it, but maybe there are other websites that have this information also.
- Lore Book Achievements Lists [Act 1] [Act 2] [Act 3] [Act 4] – Diablo 3 has a number of achievements for collecting all the Lore Books. While working on them I found that really good series of threads listing out the zones where all of them can be found. However, the official forums fill up with threads fast and old threads may be deleted. These links may not be live forever.
- The Stats You Want in Diablo 3 – I wrote a post with all the desired stats that players want in Diablo 3. It was too long to go on this page, so I put it on it’s own page.
Patch History At a Glance
The patches have quite a bit of text. Sometimes it’s nice just to now what the major changes were in each patch. Most of these patches featured rebalancing of class skills. I did not include that because it is in almost every patch, not unique to one patch.
- Patch 1.0.2 – This patch nerfed a popular invincibility build involving a party of 4 Monks and certain Monk skills.
- Patch 1.0.3 – This patch nerfed Attack Speed affixes on items by 50% and buffed Inferno item drop rates.
- Patch 1.0.4 – Perhaps the biggest content patch yet, Patch 1.0.4 added Paragon Levels, a complete redesign of Legendary Items, and nerfs to Inferno Difficulty.
- Patch 1.0.5 – The second biggest content patch added Monster Power and the Infernal Machine event.
- Patch 1.0.6 – This patch only made background changes for future Battle.net features but did not change much of anything as far as the actual game is concerned.
- Patch 1.0.7 – This patch added the Brawling PvP mode and buffed Monster Power experience bonuses.
- Patch 1.0.8 – This patch improved multiplayer games with gold find, magic find, and experience bonuses. It also reduced the bonus health for monsters per player in multiplayer games.
Affixes Unique to Item Types
Although most affixes on the items you find in the game can be found on any item type, there are several key affixes that can only be found on certain item types. Here is a list of the important affixes and the item types they can appear on. Legendary items can defy these rules. I will list them at a later date. One day I will make a table out of this information.
- Critical Chance – Helms, Bracers, Gloves, Rings, Amulets, and Off-hands (Shields, Orbs, Mojos, Quivers)
- Critical Damage – Weapons, Gloves, Rings, and Amulets
- Flat Damage Bonus – Weapons, Rings, and Amulets
- % Damage Bonus – Weapons
- Attack Speed – Weapons, Gloves, Rings, and Amulets
- Movement Speed – Boots only
- Life per hit – Weapons, Rings, and Amulets
- Lifesteal – Weapons, Mighty Belts (Barbarian)
- Life per second – [Helms, Belts, Shoulders, Bracers, Gloves, Pants, Boots, Shields, Orbs, Mojos, Quivers (All Low)], [Chests, Amulets (All High)]
- +X% to Life – Everything except weapons
- Resist All – Shields and all Armor pieces, including Rings and Amulets
- Flat Armor Bonus – Shields and all Armor pieces, except Rings and Amulets
- Block Chance – Shields only