When I first started playing Torchlight 2, I decided to go with Normal difficulty. After I went through the game the first time, I was confident in my abilities and ready to bump it up to Veteran difficulty. Well, I found out it wasn’t really possible to change the difficulty in single player. Then, I came across a forum thread about the “setdifficulty” console command. I have placed the pertinent information below.
1. Navigate to your Torchlight 2 user folder on your computer.
Windows XP: C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents\Runic Games\Torchlight 2 Vista/7: C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2
2. Open the “saves” folder. Then the folder with your Steam ID number. Not sure about non-Steam versions.
3. Open the “settings.txt” file with Notepad or equivalent.
4. Enable the console by changing “
CONSOLE :0" to “
CONSOLE :1" in this file and saving the changes. Make sure you have a space character between “console” and semicolon but not between semicolon and the number.
5. Start the game in single player with the character whose difficulty you want to change.
6. Type the tilde key (~) to see the console in-game. The hotkey may be different if using an international keyboard.
7. Enter the command “setdifficulty X”, where X corresponds to the difficulty you want.
0 - Easy 1 - Normal 2 - Veteran 3 - Elite
The game difficulty should now be changed. I don’t know if monsters automatically change or if you have to switch maps first. Best to do it in town if you are worried. You can verify by exiting to the main menu and looking at the character on the character select screen.
A word of warning: There seemed to be some confusion in the forum thread over whether this console command flags your character as “suspicious” for using the console. Some say they used this command and people in multiplayer games told them they saw this on their character. Others say they used it and did not get flagged at all in multiplayer games. If you are a single player like me, there is nothing to worry about. Only other players can see the “suspicious” notification.