Tharcyn is now level 80! With extra gold, he gambled a number of new items and enchanted everything as much as safely possible. Overall, I feel very good about Tharcyn right now and think he has a good chance of getting to level 100 to be immortalized in Torchlight history.
10 Armor Expertise
10 Martial Weapons Expertise
10 Entropic Aura
10 Soul Rend
10 Frost Shield
10 Block and Parry
7 Shadow Armor
10 Defensive Spell Mastery
10 Critical Strikes
10 Treasure Hunter
10 Pet Mastery
6 Seismic Burst
- Entered Tu’Tara Caverns, Shadow Vault (Floor 34), Monster level 70
- Killed by Ember Mycon, many critical hits and Frost Shield wore off
- Gained character level 71 (+3 Strength, +2 Defense, +1 Pet Mastery [7/10]) from quest turn-ins
- Entered Orden Mines, Shadow Vault (Floor 35), Monster level 72
- Entered Secret Mines (Phase Portal), Monster level 71 but nothing of significance
- Entered Tomb of the Awakened, Shadow Vault (Floor 36), Monster level 73
- Gained character level 72 (+3 Strength, +2 Defense, +1 Pet Mastery [8/10]) from a group of Skeletal Warriors.
- Entered Estherian Ruins (Phase Portal), Monster level 72
- Gained character level 73 (+3 Strength, +2 Defense, +1 Pet Mastery [9/10]) from quest turn-ins
- Entered Orden Mines, Shadow Vault (Floor 37), Monster level 74
- Entered Tomb of the Awakened, Shadow Vault (Floor 38), Monster level 75
- Gained character level 74 (+3 Strength, +2 Defense, +1 Pet Mastery [10/10]) from Skeleton Warlord monster.
- Entered Estherian Ruins (Phase Portal), Monster level 75 but nothing of significance
- Gained character level 75 (+3 Strength, +2 Defense, +1 Seismic Burst [1/10]) from Construct monster
- Entered Molten Prison, Shadow Vault (Floor 39), Monster level 76
- Entered Black Palace, Shadow Vault (Floor 40), Monster level 77
- Gained character level 76 (+3 Strength, +2 Defense, +1 Seismic Burst [2/10]) from Dragonkin champion
- Gained character level 77 (+3 Strength, +2 Defense, +1 Seismic Burst [3/10]) from Dark Zealot champion
- Entered Black Palace, Shadow Vault (Floor 40), Monster level 77 (not a typo)
- Gained character level 78 (+3 Strength, +2 Defense, +1 Seismic Burst [4/10]) from Dark Zealot champion
- Entered Molten Prison, Shadow Vault (Floor 41), Monster level 78
- Entered Black Palace, Shadow Vault (Floor 42), Monster level 79
- Gained character level 79 (+5 Strength, +1 Seismic Burst [5/10]) from Dragonkin champion
- Gained character level 80 (+5 Strength, +1 Seismic Burst [6/10]) from Dark Zealot champion
One thing I must note, it appears Torchlight Insider has been closed. This means I will no longer be able to create “build” links that show the trees with all the skill points in them. It’s possible this is only temporary, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s permanent as interest in Torchlight has died down since release.
With Pet Mastery finished, my pet in permanent Elemental transformation does pretty good damage. It was time decide on the next skill. One thing I started to notice with my attack skills was that Tharcyn didn’t have a very good skill for choke points. Slash was okay but didn’t hit any monster behind the front line. Soul Rend was really only good against one target at a time. Doomquake did great damage but only in a circle around Tharcyn, not directed at enemies in a choke point.
Since I had already put a lot of points in the Titan tree, I decided to go with Seismic Burst. This straight line attack hits and knocks back all enemies in the line over a pretty good distance. When I first got the skill the damage was really weak. As I got more points into invested, it seemed to get better. Right now at rank 6, Tharcyn can kill enemies with it solely, but the damage is not very good compared to the mana cost. I’m hoping at rank 10 it will do as well as Doomquake with damage but in a straight line.
Tharcyn only died once in these 10 levels, but there were many close calls. However, there was one big annoyance that was completely my fault. I leveled Tharcyn up over several days, not all in the same night. After returning to the game a few days later I went up the stairs to the same floor I had already cleared. Somehow the floor had respawned, so I didn’t relize I had already been on this floor. I ended up clearing the floor entirely a second time until I got to the end and saw the “Stairs Up” tooltip for floor 39.
This doesn’t really matter that much in the long run. It didn’t slow down leveling, but it will take one more level to get the achievement for getting to floor 50 in Shadow Vault. That shouldn’t be a problem though. Since it’s roughly 1 level per floor, Tharcyn should be above level 50 by the time he hits level 100. I don’t think Tharcyn has a chance to get to floor 100 for the next achievement. Level 100 on this playthrough would mean Tharcyn would have to fight level 140 monsters. I don’t think he can do that unless he had the best items in the game or several “ancestored” items. This mistake shouldn’t cause any problems, but it’s still annoying when I think about it.
About halfway through the leveling, I felt like I’m not really going to find any better amulets. I’ve only gotten one or two unique ones in my entire game time and even the magical ones I haven’t seen any better ones than what Tharcyn has. I decided it was time to enchant them. Tharcyn is getting to the end of the game. I don’t think he is going to find any better ones in that short time. After enchanting them up, Tharcyn gained about 100 damage and defense. It’s not a huge improvement, but everything counts at these high levels.
Tharcyn did gain some new items altogether for the helmet and shoulders slots. I enchanted these about three times each as well. Both them have huge armor improvements over Tharcyn’s previous items. His damage reduction jumped by roughly 400 points just by replacing the old items. Tharcyn’s defense actually became higher than his damage. This made me decide to focus on full Strength with attribute points for now.
You may see that I have been enchanting items more often now. This is because Tharcyn can really use any bonuses. Killing monsters already takes 10+ non-critical hits. Leveling would be really slow if I did no enchanting at all. For Tharcyn’s damage reduction he still gets killed instantly by some monsters. Enchanting is definitely not overpowered at this level. I think enchanting is a little too strong at low levels, so I will avoid until around level 50 and higher.
Even though I’m somewhat bored of this character, I’m pretty happy I am on the homestretch. That is enough to keep me leveling Tharcyn. Also, I take my time leveling him making sure I only do a couple a levels per day. That way it never starts to really drag on. Tharcyn will get to level 100 almost assuredly in just a few weeks, and I will have a big celebration (not really), but it will be fun to start a new character with a different class.
In other news I am following both Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. Right now, I’m not sure I will have the money for either. I have a savings goal before I buy any more games, so it’s possible I will have to wait to get them. If that happens the site may end up having a hiatus for a few months, but it shouldn’t be long.